Kumbla Town
 

Kumbla is a small Town situated in Kasargod Taluk in the erstwhile District of South Kanara, and after merger with Kerala State a Separate Kasargod District has been formed. Kumbla is situated about 11 KM north of Kasargod and to south of the hanks of Kumbla and Siri River merging with Arabian Sea. In those days all transportation of commodities were routed through rivers to different villages by country boats, besides, Kumbla was a hankering harbour for small ships passing through Kumbla as it was a commercial trading centre linking different villages. The remains of these buildings containing the offices of Octroi. Salt godowns were there till recently as a testimony to the past glory. Prior to introduction of Railway system the trading was spread to far flung places like Ajekal, Tellichery, Bepoor in the South and Honnavar, Goa to the North which were trading centres with ports. Paddy, rice, arecanuts, arecanut fruits were exported to Kerala, dry arracanuts, and other forest produce were used to be exported to Gujarat. Kumbla was also known as Kanipur in those days. In old records of Bekal Taluk Kumbla Magane villages were known as Kanipur. Now in Kasargod Taluk, Kumbla-Magane-Koipadi villages are known as Kumbla Town. It is not known since when these names were inherited and Subsequently changed which is a matter to be probed in. These areas which were under rule of Vijayanagar Dynasty for four hundred years which were subsequently plundered by Hyder Ali and Tippu Sultan and finally came under control of British. As a reward to Kodagu King for aiding British to defeat Tippu Sultan, the areas forming Bellare, Panje, Amar, Sullya, Mogane which were taken away by Tippu from Kodagu Kingdom were handed over back to Kodagu Dynasty and the area from Karwar to Malabar border was formed as Kannada District and handed over to East India Company.

In 1834 the East India Company rulers after taking over Kodagu Kingdom Bellare, Panje. Amar and Sullya Mogane were remerged with Kannada District. In 1862 the large Kannada District was subdivided into Uttara Kannada and Dakshina Kannada Districts. Honnavar. Ankola. Supa-Sunda Banawasi and Bilgi taluks formed into Uttara Kannada district and given to Bombay Presidency for administrative convenience. The remaining Kundapura. Barker. Balsawar. Karkal. Mulky, Bantwal. Kadaha, Putter-Vital, Mangalore and Bekal in all 11 taluks formed part of Dakshina Kannada which fell under administration of Madras Presidency. Again in 1897 after conducting proper survey of Dakshina Kannada District  was divided into five Taluks consisting, of Kundapura, Udupi, Mangalore, Uppinangadi and Kasargod. For easy administrative control a part of Kundapura, Udupi Taluk area was divided in 1912 for forming Karkal Taluk, and thus the strengh of Taluks increased from 5 to 6. In 1927 Uppinangadi Taluk was rechristened as Putter Taluk. Likewise in 1897 Bekal Taluk was also rechristened as Kasargod Taluk. For administrative and linguistic reasons south of Kasargod Taluk was Sub-divided as Hosadurg Suh-Taluk, and thereafter the entire 1 Kasargod and Hosadurg, Taluks were merged with Cannanore District in the year 1957 during Linguistic State formation and came under control of Newly formed Kerala State. Between the years 1902 to 1904 the work pertaining- to Agricultural Revenue settlement was taken up, which had given scope in formation of small villages in tune with revenue generated, and small villages were merged forming new villages. Koipadi village came into existence by merger of Kana & Taluka villages.

Kumbla Town

The Historical word 'Kanipur' is derived front the word "Krishna Pura" in fond devotion and remembrance of the deity "Gopalkrish­ria". Moreover this place was Kanwa Rishi's abode and in his memory it derived his name as 'Kanwapura' which was later misspelt as 'Kanipura' can not be disputed. Since ages this town has maintained strong bondage and deep rooted connections with Kerala which has been experienced from the traditions as well as functions that is being performed. The name Cannanore originated from Kairalee language which was named after 'Kansan Devan' literally meaning 'Krishna". The name Krishna was uttered as 'Kansan' which strengthens the formation of the name of 'Kanipura' which later transformed as'Krishnapura' and Strengthen is no reasoning and logic for origin from the word 'Kanwapura'. The Word 'Kumbale' is also derived from the culmination of two words of the river 'Kumba Holey' due to rivers flowing in a curved direction, and it is therefore presumed that the place got this name after the river and known as Kumble. The flow of three rivulets can be seen and verified even today. The river flowing towards the eastern side has given way for development of agricultural activities and coconut plantations. During the rainy season it used to flood in the vicinity which gives ample testimony to prove that the river was flowing in these areas. As the place was surrounded by rivers the Ikkeri King had built a Fort called Kumbla Fort for strategic reasons with an underground tunnel to move out from the Fort in case of any emergency and this can be seen without much difficulty. In the year 1801 European Tourist Francis Bukanan visited small hamlets of fishermen on the sea shore and recorded in his diary having seen a small fort in the area adjoining to Kumbla. In commercial terms the Kanipura market was also the market of Kumbla which fact no one is aware of today. Historically Kumbla was also famous in the olden days. In Kannada literature by name 'Keladi Nrupa Vijaya' there is mention about Kumbla. 'Adoor, Madhoor, Kavu, and Kanipura' these four divisions formed Kumbla. In the olden days there was no Sub­divisions as of today like Firka, Taluk, District etc. The terminology used then was 'Pete varga', Seeme, Hobli'. Kumbla 'seema' was then known as 3000th 'seema'. On the west it was known as 2000 persons 'seema" and on the east it was known as 1000 persons 'seema'. The reason for naming as aforesaid was to provide the quantum of soldiers required during war time against the numbers given to each 'Seema' and it was not to be construed that these seemas were inhabited Ay such number of persons.

This 'Seema' was ruled by the King, of Kumbla independently and thereafter was ruled by Ikkeri dynasty after taking over from Kumbla King, by raging war. During the regime of Hyder Ali and Tippu Sultan tile Kumbla Kilig's family .was spending time in incognito. The palace of the Kumbla King’s family members was located at "Kanchukatte" in Kotekar and also at Kodyamme, and the remains of these palaces could be seen even today. Subsequent to the changes in rulerships and administration, the lost kingdom was again secured and ruled by Mayippadi rulers who became Kumbla King. In Mayippadi of Siribagalu village (Mayapuri of village Srimukha) the palace of the king was built. The descendants of this ruler used to get Rs. 12,000/ per annum as privy purse till recently. In the above four places there were temples which since its inception were managed by the rulers. "Kanipura Sri.Gopalkrishna Temple" of Kumbla is one of the oldest and renowned temples. Sri.Gopalkrishna is the Town's deity. Persons believed him and worshipped him have been bountifully rewarded as per personal experiences of many. The daily offerings and rituals to this God is an ample testimony to this belief'. Every year during Makara Sankranti, a festival of five days duration is performed which is attended by all the people of the Town and nearby areas to seek blessings of the God with reverence. In "Yakshagana" field also Kumhla has attained name and fame. In classical songs the renderings by Parti Subba, one of the native of Kumhla is still remembered. During the period of "Dodda Rayappa Nayak" there used to be performances rendered in "Yakshagana" front 'Dashavatara' which used to be called as "Kumbla Mela" and it used to be very famous in the whole area. Thereafter 'Kodlu Subraya Shanhhogue', 'Inchalkadi Dodda Konnayannalva' which were separate established 'melas' used to be called as 'Kodlu Mela' and 'Inchalpadi Mela'. Both these 'melas' were very famous. Though 'Inchalpadi Mela' ceased to exist since last few years the 'Kodlu Mela' is still being performed and has been gaining immense popularity. The famous players in Yakshagana with colourful costumes 'Bannada Malinga' 'Handi Tininiappa' 'Gunda' son of 'Pomma' and comedian 'Nanappu' were hailing, from Kumbla. The Kumbla Town has been transformed during these years especially after advent of Railway Service with Railway Station, Post and Telegraph Office, Police Station, Primary Health Centre, Govt.High School, Co-operative Town Bank, Panchayat Bourd, Tourist Lodge. Junior Engineer's Office, Veterinary Hospital, Telephone service etc. Due to passage of National Highway there is now a Bridge over the Kumbla river which has helped to develop transport facilities between Kumbla to Kerala and Karnataka smoothly. There are ample bus services connecting important Towns oil the west coast. A branch of the Syndicate Bank in the town has established banking facilities to the people. The Village Council and Ladies Council have got their own building properties for rendering Social Service to the people. The Dispensaries of Dr.K.P.Irniraya and Dr.Shyam Bhat have rendered yeomen medical service to the needy people. The attractive Swami Nityananda Temple opened recently is another added attraction to the tourists and visitors to this town. Near to the town there are other religious centres like Madhoor, Ananthpur. Moodu-Kavu. Padu Kavu etc. Sri.Veera Vittal Temple managed by 10 Gowda Saraswat Brahmin Families and "Kumbla Nayak's Family Sri.Laxminarayana Deity - at Rukmini Mandir, and Sri.Mukhyaprana Temple and two private temples Kalavriksha Mahamayee Temple, and Ganapathi Panchayatana Temple are the added attractions and are also known for its reputation.

KumblaTown

KUMBLA FORT

There is a Fort on the northern side of the Kumbla River (Kumbla Hole). Many of our family members have been enquiring whether our Nayak family had any connection with this Fort. This Fort was built by Ikkeri Venkatappa Nayak (Senior) to guard the surrounding places conquered by hint from the Kumbla King Ramanatharasu (now descendants are in Mayappadi Palace). There was a big statue of Veer Maruthi in a temple which was in ruins until recently and a new temple was built by the local residents. This Fort is now in completely dilapidated condition. Kumbla Kings (of former Kumbla Seeme or State) were having under their ownership 4 important temples of the area (1) Sri.Gopalakrishna Temple of Kanipura or Kumbla. (2) Sri.Maha Ganapathi Temple of MADHUR. (3) Sri.Partha Sarathi Krishna of KAVU or Moojangavu  (4) Sri.Mahalingeshwara Temple at ADOOR near Mulleria -All these were within the State of KUMBLA - before the state was disintegrated.

Kumbla Fort
 
 
(c) Copyright 2011 www.kumblenayakaru.in. All rights reserved.
   

About Us | History | Family Herritage | Moola Purusha | Deities | Shree Swamijis | Trustees | Contact Us

The material for this web site is drawn from Kumble Nayakaru Family Book Third Edition published in 1997 by K Pundalik Sadashiv Nayak and they are under copyright law.